University Culture

Teach Me More


Q: What is the difference between "Undergraduate" and "Graduate" degrees?

A: Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

Q: What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?

A: Associate: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a bachelor program. Bachelor: a four or five-year program where students earn credits in a wide variety of courses.

Q: What are the different types of graduate degrees?

A: Masters: two-year degree providing additional specialization. Doctorate: five to eight-year program certifying the student as a trained research scholar and/or professor.

Q: What year taxes do we need to use for the fall?

A: Prior-Prior Year Tax Returns are needed.

For example, if you’re filing a financial aid application for academic year 2018/2019, you will use 2016 tax returns.

Q: Do you know of any webpages where we can apply for scholarships?

A: There are many scholarship webpages where you can search for a variety of scholarships. Start your search here (insert hyperlink to PDF-attached to email). You can also visit the Financial Aid office where you are transferring to in order to search for more scholarships.

Q: What is the Golden 4?

A: The CSU General Education requirements known as the “Golden Four” are the following:

  1. A1- Oral Communication
  2. A2- Written Communication
  3. A3- Critical Thinking
  4. B4- Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning

Transfer Applicants applying for the Fall Term must complete the Golder Four courses no later than the end of the Spring Term with grades of a C-or Higher.

Q: Is updated?

A: ASSIST is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California College or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California. Please visit the ASSIST website for more information.